Featured Post

The death of a Great Historian leads me to ask "Where did he come from? What was his muse?"

"[B]inary opposites fit nicely the formulation of history as written, but they do little to capture the messy, inchoate reality of h...

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Addendum to Michener post



I love it when  you have a writing remembrance of place and time that gives you other gifts.  In my previous post, on my early readings of historical fiction, I discussed the influence James Michener had on me. Connections to Historical Fiction  Every morning I have my ritual dog walk along the ocean and Michener tapped me hard on the shoulder and presented me with something I have forgotten about for years. 

I have always been drawn to the ocean and have chosen to live as close by as possible.  While living in the Boston area I lived between the ocean and a marsh.  I now live between an ocean and a marsh... go figure.  Michener was a lover of the environment and ended his book the Chesapeake with the migration of Canadian geese.  I have had a relationship with Canadian Geese ever since reading that book.  In Boston, where I lived, the return and leaving of the seasons meant "the Canadians", as I called them collectively, would return to me to say there hellos before going on their journey.  

After some turbulent years of massive changes in my life I lost track of "my Canadians".  They may have been there, but I wasn't noticing.  After publishing my previous post to the world, I had my ritual dog walk.  The video is above.  "My Canadians!"  They came back to me with a message from Michener.  I chose to interpret the message to be, "keep writing, keep valuing your feelings, and stop and see the glories before you".  

Thanks, James Michener!


No comments: